September 24th Bible Readings
Isaiah 43:14-45:10 ~ Ephesians 3:1-21 ~ Psalm 68:1-18 ~ Proverbs 24:1-2
~ Click here to read today’s Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~ // Mobile Site Link ~ Listen to today’s Scripture on One Year Bible Online Audio, ESVBible.org: OT, NT, Psalms, Proverbs
Old Testament – Isaiah’s word’s in chapter 44 verses 18 & 19 today are classic Old Testament very direct words! “Such stupidity and ignorance! Their eyes are closed, and they cannot see. Their minds are shut, and they cannot think. The person who made the idol never stops to reflect, “Why, it’s just a block of wood! I burned half of it for heat and used it to bake my bread and roast my meat. How can the rest of it be a god? Should I bow down to worship a chunk of wood?”
- I wonder about us in our lives today – do we create idols of our own today?
- Maybe our idols are not made out of chunks of wood these days. But do we create idols perhaps out of other people?
- Do we create idols out of material goods?
- Do we create idols out of our careers?
- Do we create idols out of how we spend our time?
- Are you bowing down and worshiping any “chunks of wood” in your life today?
- Please turn any idols you might have over to Jesus and allow him to heal you from worshiping those idols in your life!
Bible.org’s commentary on today’s readings in Isaiah titled “Dead Idols or the Living God” is at this link and “The Knowledge of the Lord” is at this link. Below is a great image from Isaiah 44:3 from today’s readings:
New Testament – Wow, Paul’s opening verse 1 in chapter 3 of Ephesians today reminded me that Paul literally wrote this letter to the church in Ephesus while he was in prison in Rome! “I, Paul, am a prisoner of Christ Jesus because of my preaching to you Gentiles.” I think if we keep this fact in mind, Paul’s words in this letter become all that more poignant and powerful.
- Could you ever imagine yourself being a prisoner of Jesus because of your preaching the Word to others?
- I think this is something we should really consider. Would you go to jail for Jesus? Why or why not?
- If you would go to jail for Jesus, then I challenge you to consider ways in your life that God may be asking to you indeed be like Paul “in chains for the Gospel” – even if you won’t “literally” be going to jail any time soon. (I pray not!) Maybe those chains are that you don’t spend as much time doing something that is counter-productive to the Gospel.
Psalms – I always like the idea and reminder to sing to God!
- Do you sing to God at places other than church?
- Maybe in your car? Maybe at home with the headphones on?
- Do you “sing” to God with the way you live your life?
- Here’s verse 4 in Psalm 68 today which I love – “Sing praises to God and to his name! Sing loud praises to him who rides the clouds. His name is the LORD– rejoice in his presence!”
- How do you sing your praises to the Lord each day?
- Is it done as passionately as this fella below? 🙂
Below is a great image for Psalm 68 verse 9 from today’s readings:
Proverbs – Proverbs 24 verses 1 & 2 today are powerful – “Don’t envy evil people; don’t desire their company. For they spend their days plotting violence, and their words are always stirring up trouble.”
- Have you ever found yourself desiring the company of evil people?
- Have you ever found yourself envying them?
- The bottom line to both of these things are these three words: waste of time. Really. Spending your time with people who do evil – those whose words stir up trouble – is simply a waste of your time. Envying evil people? Waste of your time as well. Don’t waste your time! Our life is short and precious. Spend your time loving and serving God and other people.
- How are you spending your time these days? Wisely?
- Please don’t waste your very precious time that God has given you this side of heaven…
Please join us in memorizing and meditating on a verse of Scripture today: “A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.” Psalm 68:5 NIV
- Pray that you emulate God’s character and that you too are a father to the fatherless.
- Pray that you are a defender of widows.
- Pray for Christians to adopt the fatherless.
- Pray to see whether you yourself might be called to adopt the fatherless.
Comments from You:
- What verses or insights stand out to you from today’s readings?
Please Post Your Comments Below
Love, Trust and Obey Jesus,
For More Teachings And Articles Visit Our Website: http://www.wmtlc.org