1 Samuel 17:1-18:4 ~ John 8:21-30 ~ Psalm 111:1-10 ~ Proverbs 15:11
~ Click here to read today’s Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~ // Mobile Site Link
~ Listen to today’s Scripture on One Year Bible Online Audio, ESVBible.org: OT, NT, Psalms, Proverbs
Old Testament – We are beginning the story of David, which is always a blessing to read. As you know, David wrote many of the Psalms, so we’ve been reading some of David’s writings already this year. Now we begin his story! Hang on! This is a wonderful part of the Bible – reading about David and reading the Gospel of John at the same time. . . great stuff! Bob Deffinbaugh with Bible.org has a terrific overview of David becoming Israel’s King at this link.
Today in 1 Samuel chapter 17 read about David & Goliath. In verse 45 we read – “David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty.” How often in our lives today are we like Goliath, where we try to make things work or do things with our own strength or our latest technology? Goliath relied on his strength and sword and spear and javelin – and perhaps we today rely on our intellectual pride and Blackberry and career and money. David simply relied on God. David moved in the name of God.
- How often do you move in the name of God today?
- How often do you completely rely on only God today?
- Can you move beyond relying solely on your “strengths” and “technologies” and instead move and breathe and rely on God in every circumstance in your life?
Below is “David Slaying Goliath” by Peter Paul Rubens from the year 1620:
Bible.org’s commentary on today’s readings titled “David and Goliath” is at this link.
New Testament – I love John 8 verse 29 where Jesus says – “And the one who sent me is with me–he has not deserted me. For I always do those things that are pleasing to him.” If Jesus always did those things that are pleasing to God, do you think that you and I should do those things that are pleasing to Jesus and to God? Meaning, it seems to me that Jesus was clearly very intentional with how he spent his time. He only did those things that are pleasing to God.
- How intentional are you and I in how we spend our time?
- Do we make sure we are only doing those things that are pleasing to Jesus (who is God) and God the Father?
Psalms – Psalm 111 is a wonderful Psalm of praise! I love the way it ends in verse 10: “Reverence for the LORD is the foundation of true wisdom. The rewards of wisdom come to all who obey him. Praise his name forever!”
- Do you believe that reverence for God is the foundation of true wisdom?
- Do you believe that there are rewards of wisdom if you obey God?
- Will you praise his name forever?
Proverbs – Proverbs 15:11 today teaches us: “Even the depths of Death and Destruction are known by the LORD. How much more does he know the human heart!”
Please join us in memorizing and meditating on two verses of Scripture today: “David said to the Philistine (Goliath), “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied… All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.”” 1 Samuel 17:45,47 NIV
- Pray that you will not attempt battles against “Goliaths” in your life on your own, but that you will realize the battle is always the LORD’s.
- Pray that you will never trust your technologies over the LORD.
Comments from You & Questions of the Day:
- Today’s Proverb is a wonderful reminder that God not only knows us, he knows our very hearts! How is the state of your heart today?
- Does your heart belong to God?
- Also, what verses or insights stand out to you in today’s readings?
Please Post Your Comments Below
Love, Trust and Obey Jesus.
Bible Reading Plan For 16th May:
For More Teachings And Articles Visit Our Website: http://www.witnessministries.in