1 Samuel 12:1-13:23 ~ John 7:1-30 ~ Psalm 108:1-13 ~ Proverbs 15:4
~ Click here to read today’s Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~ // Mobile Site Link
~ Listen to today’s Scripture on One Year Bible Online Audio, ESVBible.org: OT, NT, Psalms, Proverbs
Old Testament – I like First Samuel 12 verse 7 today when Samuel says this to the Israelites: “Now stand here quietly before the LORD as I remind you of all the great things the LORD has done for you and your ancestors” Just like the Israelites needed reminding all the great things God has done, we need reminding today as well. We are a forgetful people. I honestly believe reading God’s Word, the Bible, each day is a great way to “remember” all that God has done for each of us and our spiritual ancestors. I know that I need this daily reminder… How about you?
Verse 23 is intriguing when Samuel says – “As for me, I will certainly not sin against the LORD by ending my prayers for you. And I will continue to teach you what is good and right.” It sounds like if Samuel stopped his prayers for the Israelites, he would be sinning. Interesting.
- What about us today? Does God call us at times to pray for others?
- And if we do not respond to this call and do not pray for others, are we sinning?
- Interesting food for thought. I guess it’s just a safer bet to continue praying for others! 🙂
In 1 Samuel 13 we see Saul’s disobedience toward God, through his impatience. I wonder again about us today –
- Are we patient people? Or are we impatient?
- Do we wait on God when things are not moving as quickly as we would like them to…?
- Should we be waiting on God or trying to hurry things up like Saul did…?
Below is a painting by artist Guye Rowe of Samuel rebuking Saul from today’s readings:
New Testament – Hmmm… I found John chapter 7 verse 12 intriguing today as it said this about Jesus – “There was a lot of discussion about him among the crowds. Some said, “He’s a wonderful man,” while others said, “He’s nothing but a fraud, deceiving the people.””
- Does this verse sound familiar to you at all?
- Maybe like something we would hear about Jesus or Christianity in our modern world today?
- “Jesus & Christianity is wonderful. Jesus & Christianity is nothing but a fraud, deceiving people.” Times really have not changed much have they?
Jesus’ words in verse 17 are powerful – “Anyone who wants to do the will of God will know whether my teaching is from God or is merely my own.” I like that – if we want to do the will of God, we will know whether Jesus’ teaching is from God or is his own.
- Do you want to do the will of God?
- When you read Jesus’ teachings in John, do you know that his teaching is from God?
I will say this – I am so transformed when I read Jesus’ words in the Gospel of John. I don’t know what it is about this Gospel…. but for some reason the words speak to me at a deep spiritual level. Certainly when I read the words of Jesus in the other Gospels, or when I read any other words in the Bible, I know they are true words and I know they are feeding me spiritually. But… there’s something about the Gospel of John. It is such a blessing to me. It makes me want to cry with joy! Really…
Bible.org’s commentary on John chapter 7 readings today titled “Jesus in Jerusalem at the Feast of Tabernacles” is at this link.
Psalms – I love Psalm 108 verse 1 today: “My heart is confident in you, O God; no wonder I can sing your praises! Wake up, my soul!”
- Is your heart confident in God?
- Do you sing God’s praises? Is your soul awake?
- Or does your soul need a wake up call?
- Where do you suppose you can find that wake up call for your soul? The Bible? Jesus? The Holy Spirit? God?
- Will you answer the call today? Will your soul wake up?
Proverbs – I also love Proverbs 15 verse 4 today – “Gentle words bring life and health.”
Please join us in memorizing and meditating on a verse of Scripture today: “Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.” Proverbs 15:4 NIV
- Pray that your tongue produces gentle word to others in your life – words that are a tree of life.
- Pray that you would never speak with a deceitful tongue, which crushes the spirit of others.
Comments from You & Questions of the Day:
- Based on our Proverb today, do you bring life and health to those around you each day with gentle words?
- Also, what verses or insights stand out to you in today’s readings?
Please Post Your Comments Below
Bible Reading Plan For 13th May:
- 1 Samuel 14:1-52
- John 7:31-53
- Psalm 109:1-31
- Proverbs 15:5-7
Love, Trust and Obey Jesus.
For More Teachings And Articles Visit Our Website: http://www.witnessministries.in