2 Kings 10:32-12:21 ~ Acts 18:1-22 ~ Psalm 145:1-21 ~ Proverbs 18:1
~ Click here to read today’s Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~ // Mobile Site Link
~ Listen to today’s Scripture on One Year Bible Online Audio, ESVBible.org: OT, NT, Psalms, Proverbs or DailyAudioBible.com (podcast) ~
Old Testament – Eventful readings today in 2 Kings 11 for the coming of a 7 year old king of Judah, Joash!
Below are 2 images for 2 Kings 11 verses 13 & 14: “When Athaliah heard all the noise made by the guards and the people, she hurried to the LORD’s Temple to see what was happening. And she saw the newly crowned king standing in his place of authority by the pillar, as was the custom at times of coronation. The officers and trumpeters were surrounding him, and people from all over the land were rejoicing and blowing trumpets.”If God can work all things together for the good of the nation of Israel through a 7 year old boy turned King (Joash), do you trust God can work all things together for good in your life? (Roman 8:28)
- What is something recently in your life that seemed unlikely or small (like a 7 year old king) that God turned into a good in your life?
It is great to see that in 2 Kings 12 Joash is passionate for the repair of the Temple in Jerusalem. 2 Kings 12 verse today 9 tells us: “Then Jehoiada the priest bored a hole in the lid of a large chest and set it on the right-hand side of the altar at the entrance of the Temple of the LORD. The priests guarding the entrance put all of the people’s contributions into the chest.”
New Testament – Today’s readings in Acts 18 are important in that Paul is beginning his work of building the church in Corinth through his ministry! We of course are very familiar now with Paul’s letters of 1st and 2nd Corinthians – today we get a glimpse of how Paul’s relationship with the city of Corinth began. Verses 9 through 11 let us clearly know that the Lord was very involved in Paul’s ministry in Corinth: “One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision and told him, “Don’t be afraid! Speak out! Don’t be silent! For I am with you, and no one will harm you because many people here in this city belong to me.” So Paul stayed there for the next year and a half, teaching the word of God.”
- How are you involved in helping to build or support the church today?
- What are some ways that God has called you to love and serve your local church? How about the global church?
Per Tyndale’s One Year Bible Companion today: “Corinth was the political and commercial center of Greece, surpassing Athens in importance. It had a reputation for great wickedness and immorality. A temple to Aphrodite – goddess of love and war – had been built on the large hill behind the city.”
Psalms – I love the imagery today in Psalm 145 verse 9! “The LORD is good to everyone. He showers compassion on all his creation.”
- Do you believe that God is good to everyone?
- Do you feel God’s compassion being showered upon you right this very moment?
Proverbs – Proverbs 18 verse 1 is a great reminder that God created us to be in community with others! “A recluse is self-indulgent, snarling at every sound principle of conduct.”
- Are you in community with others? In what ways?
- Are there some ways that God might be calling you to go deeper into community with others?
- Are you part of a church community?
- Think God would want you to be part of a church community? Why or why not?
Please join us in memorizing and meditating on a verse of Scripture today: “The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.” Psalm 145:8 NIV
- Pray that you experience – consciously – God’s grace and compassion and love each and every day of your life.
- Pray that you never experience God’s full anger.
Comments from You & Questions of the Day:
- What verses or insights stand out to you in today’s readings?
Please Post Your Comments Below
Love, Trust and Obey Jesus,
Bible Reading Plan For 28th June:
- 2 Kings 13:1-14:29
- Acts 18:23-19:12
- Psalm 146:1-10
- Proverbs 18:2-3
For More Teachings And Articles Visit Our Website: http://www.wmtlc.org