Exodus 23:14-25:40 ~ Matthew 24:29-51 ~ Psalm 30:1-12 ~ Proverbs 7:24-27
~ Click here to read today’s Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~ // Mobile Site Link
~ Listen to today’s Scripture on One Year Bible Online Audio, ESVBible.org: OT, NT, Psalms, Proverbs or DailyAudioBible.com (podcast) ~
Old Testament – Today in Exodus chapter 23 we read about the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the Festival of Harvest, and the Festival of Final Harvest (also known as Festival of Booths or Ingathering or Tabernacles). This old covenant meal was a foreshadowing of Jesus’ new covenant Last Supper with his disciples just before his death and resurrection. In chapter 24 Moses is called up on the mountain for forty days and forty nights – similarly Jesus spent forty days and forty nights in the desert after his baptism and before beginning his public ministry.
Below is a wonderful image by C.F. Vos of Moses receiving the Law from God on Mount Sinai:
New Testament – Jesus’ teaching in Matthew chapter 24 verse 36 has always stood out to me – particularly when my friends today want to dive into conversations about “if” the end is near: “However, no one knows the day or the hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows.” No one knows the day or the hour – only God. Good for us to keep in mind. We’re not God. 🙂
Verse 35 is an amazing reminder that Jesus’ words in the Bible will outlast every single material thing around us today: “Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will remain forever.” Do you believe that Jesus’ words will remain forever?
Psalms – Today in Psalm 30 verses 4 through 5 we read: “Sing to the Lord; you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.”
- How does this verse speak to you?
- Do you believe that God’s anger can last only a moment, but his favor last a lifetime?
- If you are weeping now in some area of your life, do you believe that God can bring rejoicing to you?
- Will you pray to God to grant you favor in this life and in life everlasting?
- Will you pray to God to heal any situation that you are weeping over today, and to bring you rejoicing tomorrow?
- Do you look forward to this rejoicing that will allow you to sing to the Lord as a saint and to praise his holy name?
Proverbs – Proverbs chapter 7 verse 25 reminds us once again of the importance of guarding our hearts, the very wellspring of our lives: “Don’t let your hearts stray away…”
- Is there anything in your life that is causing your heart to stray away from God’s Truth?
- Will you not allow you heart to go down that dangerous path?
- Will you return your heart’s allegiance wholly to your Maker and Provider?
- Will you allow your heart to be chained to God alone, and not to any temptations or sins?
Please join us in memorizing and meditating on a verse of Scripture today: “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.” Matthew 24:35 NIV
- Pray that you would read and study God’s Word each and every day knowing that it is eternal.
Comments from You and Questions of the Day: In today and yesterday’s readings in Matthew chapter 24 we read about the end times.
- Do you do much study of the end times?
- What are some books or resources or websites you could point others to, to study more about the end times?
- How often do you think about the end times?
- Do you think there should be a balance of time and study when it comes to reflecting on the end times versus being active in ministry in our world today?
- Also, what verses or insights stand out to you in today’s readings?
Please Post Your Comments Below
Love, Trust and Obey Jesus,
Bible Reading Plan For 7th feb:
- Exodus 26:1-27:21
- Matthew 25:1-30
- Psalm 31:1-8
- Proverbs 8:1-11