Deuteronomy 33:1-29 ~ Luke 13:1-21 ~ Psalm 78:65-72 ~ Proverbs 12:25
~ Click here to read today’s Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~ // Mobile Site Link
~ Listen to today’s Scripture on ESVBible.org: OT, NT, Psalms, Proverbs or DailyAudioBible.com (podcast) ~
Old Testament – Allright, I don’t know about you, but I’m getting a little teary eyed reading about Moses’ final blessings of the tribes today! It reminded me of Jacob’s blessings of his sons in Genesis Chapter 49 – though, it seems to me that Moses’ blessings were a bit more positive overall than Jacob’s, no? Jacob’s were a bit more realistic though perhaps… as we’ll read later this year in the One Year Bible. The other thing about reading Moses’ final blessings of the tribes today that makes me sad is the realization that we are in the 2nd to last chapter of the Pentateuch! (The first five books of the Bible – the books of the Law.) Tomorrow we’ll read about the death of Moses in Deuteronomy chapter 34 and then it’s onto the Promised Land with Joshua!
New Testament – I love Jesus’ teachings in Luke chapter 13 verses 18 & 19: “Then Jesus said, “What is the Kingdom of God like? How can I illustrate it? It is like a tiny mustard seed planted in a garden; it grows and becomes a tree, and the birds come and find shelter among its branches.” I think if we can have faith in the seed that Jesus plants in our hearts – the Gospel – we will see an amazing plant grow that will ultimately bless others. From the tiniest beginnings, with patience and faith, can come the largest of plants.
- Will you let Jesus plant a mustard seed in your heart?
- And will you be patient and allow the seed time & space to grow?
- And will you water and care for the seed of the Gospel planted in your heart so that one day it will be a beautiful tree of life for yourself and others you come in contact with?
Bible.org’s commentary on Luke chapter 13’s readings today titled “A Problem of Perspective” is at this link.
Psalms – Psalm 78 verse 71 is awesome – “He took David from tending the ewes and lambs and made him the shepherd of Jacob’s descendants–God’s own people, Israel.” This verse reminds me that we’ll be reading about David later this year in the One Year Bible! It is interesting that the Psalmist refers to David as a shepherd and not king of Israel in this verse. The shepherd analogy seems like it might be foreshadowing Jesus, the Good Shepherd. Here’s an image below of a young David as a shepherd – perhaps singing some Psalms?? 🙂
Proverbs – Today in Proverbs chapter 12 verse 25 we read – “An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.”
- How is the state of your heart today? Is it anxious?
Worship God: Luke 13:18-19 reminded me of the Sanctus Real song “Whatever You’re Doing:”
Please join us in memorizing and meditating on a verse of Scripture today: “Then Jesus asked, “What is the kingdom of God like? What shall I compare it to? It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden. It grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air perched in its branches.” Luke 13:18-19 NIV
- Pray that your faith is like a mustard seed. Small perhaps at first, but ever growing and expanding as your heart grows and expands for love of Jesus, is filled with the Spirit, and is full in the Kingdom of God.
Comments from You & Questions of the Day:
- Based on our Proverb, are there others in your life that you know are being weighed down with an anxious heart?
- Will you reach out to them today and tomorrow and the next day with a kind word to cheer them up? Never underestimate the power of a kind word toward others. It is life-giving. Please never fail to pass along life & joy to others through kind words as you journey through this life. And please accept kind words when they are given to you.
- Also, what verses or insights stand out to you in today’s readings?
Please Post Your Comments Below
Love, Trust and Obey Jesus.
Bible Reading Plan For 10th April:
- Deut. 34:1-Josh. 2:24
- Luke 13:22-14:6
- Psalm 79:1-13
- Proverbs 12:26