Numbers 32:1-33:39 ~ Luke 4:31-5:11 ~ Psalm 64:1-10 ~ Proverbs 11:22
~ Click here to read today’s Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~ // Mobile Site Link
~ Listen to today’s Scripture on One Year Bible Online Audio, ESVBible.org: OT, NT, Psalms, Proverbs orDailyAudioBible.com (podcast) ~
Old Testament – Today in Numbers chapter 32 verse 23 we read this strong warning from Moses to the Reubenites & Gadites about their promise to fight with Israel and their desire to settle in the land east of the Jordan river: “But if you fail to keep your word, then you will have sinned against the LORD, and you may be sure that your sin will find you out.” I think this is powerful for us to keep in mind in our lives today as well! It’s important for us to keep our word! If we’re not sure we can keep our word, we shouldn’t give it. But if we do give our word, and we fail to keep it, we have sinned. And I do believe the sin will still find us out today.
- How are you at keeping your word these days?
- Is there an area of your life where you gave your word and you now are wavering?
- Can you keep your word in that area?
- Will you pray to God to give you strength to do so? Let us not be people who fail to keep our word or who stretch the truth!
Chapter 33 is a great re-cap of Israel’s journey! Check out a great map of Israel’s journey and commentary at this link. And another full sized map of Israel’s journey is at this link, and a smaller sized map is below:
New Testament – In Luke chapter 5 verses 10 & 11 we read – “From now on you’ll be fishing for people!” And as soon as they landed, they left everything and followed Jesus.”
- Can you imagine being called by Jesus like this?
- If you were called by Jesus to stop your “work” that you are doing now and instead work to bring people closer to God, would you do so?
- Can you imagine yourself today being like these disciples and leaving everything and following Jesus?
Bible.org’s commentary on Luke chapter 4’s readings today titled “Deity Confronts the Demons” isat this link and commentary on chapter 5’s readings today entitled “How to Hook a Fisherman” is at this link.
Psalms – Psalm 64 verse 10 is beautiful – “The godly will rejoice in the LORD and find shelter in him.” Do you consider God a shelter for your life?
- When storms come into your life, do you find shelter in God?
- How about the Bible? Is the Bible a sort of shelter in your life? Do you find refuge in the Bible?
Bible.org’s commentary on Psalm 64 titled “A Prayer for Protection from the Conspiracy of Terror”is at this link.
Proverbs – Proverbs 11:22 today teaches us – “A woman who is beautiful but lacks discretion is like a gold ring in a pig’s snout.” I think this Proverb can apply to men too. I think we are all beautiful, as sons & daughters of God! We are made in the image of God. And when we lack discretion in our God-given lives, then we indeed are like this image below! 🙂
Worship God: Luke chapter 5 reminds me of Steven Curtis Chapman’s great song “For the Sake of the Call:”
Please join us in memorizing and meditating on two verses of Scripture today: “Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will catch men.” So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.” Luke 5:10-11 NIV
- Pray that you will follow Jesus.
- Pray that you will leave everything else in this life that does not line up with Jesus call for your life and for God’s glory.
Comments from You & Questions of the Day:
- Based on our readings in Luke today, do you believe that Jesus still calls his followers to be fishers of people today?
- Are you a fisher of people?
- How are you fishing for people for the Lord in your life today?
- What are some ways that Jesus might be calling you to fish for people today?
- Also, what verses or insights stand out to you in today’s readings?
Please Post Your Comments Below
Love, Trust and Obey Jesus.
Bible Reading Plan For 22nd March:
- Numbers 33:40-35:34
- Luke 5:12-28,
- Psalm 65:1-13,
- Proverbs 11:23