Numbers 6:1-7:89 ~ Mark 12:38-13:13 ~ Psalm 49:1-20 ~ Proverbs 10:27-28
~ Click here to read today’s Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~ // Mobile Site Link
~ Listen to today’s Scripture on ESVBible.org: OT, NT, Psalms, Proverbs or DailyAudioBible.com (podcast) ~
Old Testament – Today in Numbers chapter 6 we read about the Nazirite laws! The Nazirite vows could be taken for as little as 30 days or as long as a lifetime. It was voluntary – except parents could take the vow for their children, making them Nazirites for life. Samson, Samuel, and John the Baptist are all thought to have been Nazirites for life. More info on the Nazirites is at this link. Below is a painting by C.E. Brock of Samson and the lion from Judges 14:6 –
Today in Numbers chapter 6 verses 22-27 we will read the well known “Aaronic Blessing”, which I’ve underlined in the verses (and is in the image below) – “The LORD said to Moses, “Tell Aaron and his sons, ‘This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them: “The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.” “So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them.””
- How does this blessing speak to you today?
- Have you heard this blessing prayed aloud before?
- Can you imagine this ancient blessing that has been prayed innumerable times in history being prayed over you today? Take a few moments to really meditate upon the 3 sections of the blessing.
- Do you notice that each section begins with God’s name?
- Do you believe that God can indeed bless you and keep you (favor & protect you)? That he can indeed make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you (be pleased & be merciful and compassionate to you)?
- And do you believe that God can indeed turn his face toward you and give you peace (give approval & peace to you)? It is also of note that this blessing “put God’s name on the Israelites and they were blessed.”
- Do you believe that God’s name is upon you today?
- Do you want God’s name to be upon you today?
Chapter 7 is the longest chapter in the book of Numbers, and certainly an amazing one. It is awesome to read about the presentation of offerings for the dedication of the altar over 12 days. At the end of this chapter we read in verse 89: “Whenever Moses went into the Tabernacle to speak with the LORD, he heard the voice speaking to him from between the two cherubim above the Ark’s cover–the place of atonement–that rests on the Ark of the Covenant. The LORD spoke to him from there.”
New Testament – In Mark chapter 12 verses 41 through 43 today we read the powerful narrative of the Widow’s Mite – “Jesus went over to the collection box in the Temple and sat and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts. Then a poor widow came and dropped in two pennies. He called his disciples to him and said, “I assure you, this poor widow has given more than all the others have given. For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.””
- How does this narrative speak to you?
- When it comes to your time, treasure, and talents, do you give to God out of your surplus?
- Or do you give to God all that you have?
- What should we learn today from the widow about giving?
Psalms – Psalm 49 verses 1-3 are a fantastic teaching that the Word of God, the Bible, is for everyone, no matter what our lots in life may be – “Listen to this, all you people! Pay attention, everyone in the world! High and low, rich and poor–listen! For my words are wise, and my thoughts are filled with insight.”
- Are you listening today?
- Are you paying attention to the wise words and insights of the Bible?
- Are you truly studying the Bible and then applying the Bible’s teachings to your life?
- Then, verse 15 in this Psalm is beautiful: “But as for me, God will redeem my life. He will snatch me from the power of death.” How about for you? Will God redeem your life?
- Like the parable of the lost sheep that we read about in Luke 15:3-7, has Jesus saved you from being snatched from the power of death?
Proverbs – Proverbs chapter 10 verse 27 teaches us – “Fear of the LORD lengthens one’s life, but the years of the wicked are cut short.” Below is a great image for Proverbs 10:28 from today’s readings:
Worship God: Based on reading the Aaronic blessing today in Numbers, here’s the blessing sung as a duet. Beautiful!
Please join us in memorizing and meditating on three verses of Scripture today: “”The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26 NIV
- Pray that God will bless you and keep you.
- Pray that Jesus will give you peace.
- Pray Numbers 6:24-46 for your family and neighbors today.
Comments from You & Questions of the Day:
- Based on Proverbs 10:27 above, do you agree that the fear of the Lord lengthens your life? Why or why not?
- Do you think fear of the Lord is a good thing? Why or why not?
- Also, what verses or insights stand out to you in today’s readings?
Please Post Your Comments Below
Love, Trust and Obey Jesus,
Bible Reading Plan For 7th March:
Num 8:1‐9:23, Mark 13:14‐37, Ps 50:1‐23, Prov 10:29‐30